Beverly Hills Unveils Dali Exhibit at Two Rodeo Drive
12 Iconic Salvador Dali Sculptures to Be on Display at Two Rodeo Drive, The First and Largest Outdoor Showcase of Dali’s Sculptures Of This Kind in the United States
BEVERLY HILLS, CA (June 16, 2016) – Two Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills has unveiled Dali Exhibit at Two Rodeo Drive, which marks the first and largest outdoor showcase of Dali’s sculptures in the United States. This world class exhibition of 12 iconic Salvador Dali sculptures is presented by Two Rodeo Drive and Galerie Michael, with a sponsorship from Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau. Drawing visitors locally and internationally, the collection will be free to the public and on display at Two Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills from June 16, 2016 to September 23, 2016.
The exhibit highlights Dali’s three-dimensional bronze monumental sculptures that are up to 16 feet tall as well as museum-sized sculptures that range in size from four to nine feet. Loaned from The Stratton Institute which possesses the world’s largest collection of Dali’s monumental sculptures, and with instrumental support from Andrew Weiss Gallery, the exhibit offers the rare opportunity to view Dali’s surreal sculptures in an open environment outside of a museum or gallery setting. Each sculpture highlights Dali’s untamed imagination, offering onlookers a surreal and unique experience.
The following are descriptions of the pieces that will be on display and available for purchase this summer:
• Persistence of Memory: Dalinian time is not rigid, but rather fluid. The unexpected softness of the watch represents the psychological fact that speed of time, while precise in scientific use, is widely variable in human perception.
• Saint George and the Dragon: Saint George, guardian angel of Aragon and celebrated saint of chivalry in medieval Europe, battles against heresy and evil.
• The Unicorn: The mythical creature, a symbol of purity. The sensual nature of the piece is created with the portrayal of the unicorn as a phallic figure with the out-stretched woman at its hooves.
• Woman Aflame: ‘A woman’s mystery is her true beauty,’ as idealised with Dali’s use of the flames and drawers that convey the hidden intensity of unconscious desire and the mystery of hidden secrets.
• Dance of Time I: Dalinian time is perpetual, “dancing on”, stopping for no man, history or the cosmos. The sculpture exemplifies Dali’s relationship with time, his perception of its constricting limitations and the importance he believed to be inherent in memory.
• Dance of Time II: The fluidity and space of time is represented through constant movement and dancing in sync to the beat of the universe.
• Horse Saddled with Time: ‘Man believes he is in control of the voyage, but it is time who is the ultimate rider.’ This famous Dalinian image of the horse saddled with Dalinian time, time that controls all of man’s passage.
• Triumphant Angel: The beautiful Dalian angel trumpets his divine music, wings spread, head thrown back, sending his jubilant message to all who will listen.
• Triumphant Elephant: Exemplifies every individual’s hope for abundance and good fortune in the future.
• Snail and the Angel: A place in the Dalinian universe, intimately connected with the artist’s encounter with Sigmund Freud, who Dali regarded as his spiritual father.
• Surrealist Piano: Dali animates the instrument into an animated and joyous musical piano that can dance with its legs from a woman as well as play.
• Surrealist Warrior: Roman warrior representing all victories - real and ethereal, spiritual and physical.
Dali Exhibit at Two Rodeo Drive was organized in partnership with Bill Wiley, CBRE Director of Two Rodeo Drive, Michael Schwartz, Founder of Galerie Michael, and Beniamino Levi, President of The Stratton Institute. Levi and Schwartz both had personal relationships with Dali. Over the duration of the exhibition, Galerie Michael will offer complimentary docent tours of the collection on weekends, Saturdays 10am – 4pm and Sundays 11am – 3pm. The tours will begin on Saturday, June 25.
The exhibit is also working with Operation Smile, an international non-profit medical organization dedicated to improving the health and lives of children in developing countries with access to surgical care for those born with cleft lip, cleft palate or other facial deformities. Donations raised during the exhibition as well as a percentage of sales from purchased sculptures will benefit Operation Smile. Two Rodeo Drive and Galerie Michael are proud to support the children of Operation Smile through this promotion.
For more information on Dali Exhibit at Two Rodeo Drive please visit: www.tworodeo.com or follow #Dali2Rodeo.
About Two Rodeo Drive
Two Rodeo Drive is home to 30 luxury and fashion boutiques including Galerie Michael, Jimmy Choo, Versace, Lanvin, Porsche Design, Brunello Cucinelli, Stefano Ricci, Breguet, Richard Mille, Etro, Philipp Plein and 208 Rodeo and Urasawa restaurants. Two Rodeo Drive’s latest additions include Audemars Piguet and Carolina Herrera. Two Rodeo Drive is instantly recognizable as an iconic symbol of the prestigious and distinctive city of Beverly Hills and America’s most celebrated shopping district. Two Rodeo Drive is located at the corner of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Boulevard. For more information, visit tworodeo.com or contact (310) 247-7040.
About Galerie Michael
Galerie Michael is a unique fine art gallery located on the famous Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills for over thirty years. The gallery’s model is built on posterity rather than prosperity, which means a long term view on working with collectors in “building museum quality collections, one work at a time”. An important aspect of Galerie Michael’s ongoing success is that customers are treated as business partners with full access to Galerie Michael’s planning, market expertise, curatorial knowledge, and staff of fine art scholars. The gallery is known internationally for its leading edge in 17th to 20th Century master works, mounting over eighteen annual exhibitions, including Barbizon and the Journey to Impressionism, Picasso and the Artist’s Muse, Rembrandt: A Comparative View and Renoir and the Impressionists. Galerie Michael’s long-term commitment to collector ethics, access to fine art, education and art collecting along with its prestigious membership in the Fine Art Dealers Association (FADA), it has established itself as one of the most highly regarded, successful galleries in the United States and worldwide. For more information, visit http://www.galeriemichael.com.
About Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills is one of the world’s most sought-after locales. Centrally located in greater Los Angeles, Beverly Hills is a premier holiday and business travel destination, with beautiful weather year-round, acclaimed full-service and boutique hotel accommodations, superb dining, and unrivalled shopping. Synonymous with Hollywood glamour, Beverly Hills enjoys an international reputation as the home and playground of A-list movie stars. The city is not only known worldwide for its grand mansions and chic shops along Rodeo Drive, but also for its multitude of art and architecture, spas and salons, and exceptional walkability. Learn more at www.lovebeverlyhills.com or on Facebook and Twitter.
About The Stratton Institute
The Stratton Institute is dedicated to promotion of cul¬ture and the arts. It contributes to the pleasure of the museum-visiting public by creating and circulating exhibitions and collections of exceptional quality. The Stratton Institute ‘s collection of Dali artworks, has already been seen by more than 12 million people around the world, and has toured over 100 prestigious museums and locations in the past twenty-five years. The shows have all met with great public and critical acclaim, and have enjoyed excel¬lent press reviews. As the initiator of projects dedicated to the universal influence of Salvador Dalí, the Stratton Institute has also played a major role in organizing exhibitions jointly with various international museums and cultural institutions. The President of the Stratton Foundation, Beniamino Levi, personally knew Salvador Dalí. It was Dalí himself who suggested to Mr. Levi the setting up of museums and exhi¬bitions around the world dedicated to his artistic genius. Many world famous dignitaries have attended the opening evenings of the various exhibitions presented by the Stratton Institute and over forty have personally written to the Stratton Institute expressing their thanks. The former President of France, Jacques Chirac, has written the introduction to the Stratton Institute French exhibition catalogue. The Stratton Institute continues to enjoy the support of major governmental agencies, embassies, ministries, and ambassadors, and is recognized the world over as being a prestigious leader and organizer of exhibitions within the world of art. www.thedaliuniverse.com.
About Operation Smile
Operation Smile is an international medical charity that has provided hundreds of thousands of free surgeries for children and young adults in developing countries who are born with cleft lip, cleft palate or other facial deformities. It is one of the oldest and largest volunteer-based organizations dedicated to improving the health and lives of children worldwide through access to surgical care. Since 1982, Operation Smile has developed expertise in mobilizing volunteer medical teams to conduct surgical missions in resource-poor environments while adhering to the highest standards of care and safety. Operation Smile helps to fill the gap in providing access to safe, well-timed surgeries by partnering with hospitals, governments and ministries of health, training local medical personnel, and donating much-needed supplies and equipment to surgical sites around the world. Founded and based in Virginia, U.S., Operation Smile has extended its global reach to more than 60 countries through its network of credentialed surgeons, pediatricians, doctors, nurses, and student volunteers. For more information visit www.operationsmile.com.
Claire Delacruz Soe
(310) 248-1015 ext. 204