Experience Pretty Woman and Clueless in 2020
2020 will mark the 30th anniversary of the beloved romantic comedy, Pretty Woman, and 25th anniversary of the iconic cult classic, Clueless. Below are original scenes we revisit to relive these films' most memorable moments in Beverly Hills.
Pretty Woman, 1990
Then: Vivian, portrayed by Julia Roberts, wrestles with salad forks and snails at the Art Deco restaurant at the Oviatt Building, known today as the Cicada.
- Now: If you’re pining for escargot á la Vivian, spring for Avec Nous, tucked inside the Viceroy L’Ermitage Beverly Hills, to recreate this classic scene. The recently revamped space brings a classic French Riviera experience to Beverly Hills with dishes that harken back to some of France’s most famous dishes – including Regiis Ova Osetra caviar with crème fraiche.
Then: Edward, Richard Gere’s character, stays in the penthouse of the iconic Beverly Wilshire (even though he's afraid of heights).
Now: Now a Four Seasons property, the Beverly Wilshire offers guests an chance to live like a “Pretty Woman” with an expertly crafted, extravagant experience that will reinvent moments from this iconic movie. Enjoy a luxurious package featuring three nights in a signature suite, luxury transportation, and inclusive spa, food and beverage amenities. Choose from uniquely tailored treatments at the Forbes Five Star Spa at Beverly Wilshire, enjoy a shopping experience with top celebrity stylists at LALALUXE, and dine-around outlets from the Pool Bar & Café, to In Room Dining, and at the see-and-be seen restaurant THEBlvd
- This USD $300,000 package is available by calling 1(800)421.4354 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Now: Now a Four Seasons property, the Beverly Wilshire offers guests an chance to live like a “Pretty Woman” with an expertly crafted, extravagant experience that will reinvent moments from this iconic movie. Enjoy a luxurious package featuring three nights in a signature suite, luxury transportation, and inclusive spa, food and beverage amenities. Choose from uniquely tailored treatments at the Forbes Five Star Spa at Beverly Wilshire, enjoy a shopping experience with top celebrity stylists at LALALUXE, and dine-around outlets from the Pool Bar & Café, to In Room Dining, and at the see-and-be seen restaurant THEBlvd
Then: Driving down Rodeo Drive towards the Beverly Wilshire, you'll glimpse Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Burberry and the former storefront of Boulmiche. The latter is where Vivian was turned away in her "working girl" denim miniskirt and crop top. Eventually, Vivian is able to procure a cocktail dress for dinner at Giorgio Beverly Hills.
- Now: With the City’s highest concentration of world-renowned fashioned houses, Rodeo Drive remains a mecca for aspiring fashionistas. Those seeking a serious style update can get outfitted at Gucci’s three-story storefront (which will soon be the site of a new Massimo Bottura restaurant concept in Spring 2020) or Prada’s expansive 24,000-square-foot flagship.
Then: At the end of their big day, Edward and Vivian laugh and dine at Barb's Quickie Grill, which closed in 1999.
- Now: Relive this moment at the modern day Nate’n Al’s, a simple-yet-delightful delicatessen drawing in both corporate hard-hitters and low-key locals.
Then: In one of the film’s most memorable scenes, Edward gifts Vivian an incredible ruby and diamond necklace valued at a quarter-of-a-million dollars (about $836,000 in today’s money).
- Now: Select a swoon-worthy piece from the newly redesigned Van Cleef & Arpels on 300 North Rodeo Drive. The historic Beverly Hills boutique reopened in late 2019 with a new Champagne bar and dining room and exclusive viewing salons following a renovation to the 6,000 square-foot corner building – the French high jewelry brand’s largest boutique in the United States.
- Then: Cher, played by Alicia Silverstone, shows off the “loqued out” 1994 white Jeep Wrangler her dad bought for her while driving south on North Bedford Drive in Beverly Hills (“It’s got four-wheel drive, dual-side airbags and a monster sound system!”)
Then: Cher and Dionne, performed by Stacey Dash, take Tai, Brittany Murphy, out for a “calorie fest” to cheer her up after she finds out that Elton, Jeremy Sisto, isn’t into her at the former Crocodile Café.
- Now: Ladurée would be Cher’s definitive modern-day pick. The French patisserie is delightfully girly, with baby pink seats and pastel-colored macarons bound to distract any forlorn lover. The beloved eatery recently tapped plant-based celebrity chef Matthew Kenney to revamp the entire menu at its Beverly Hills outpost, which went entirely vegan in September 2019. A close second is Alfred Coffee & Kitchen, where Cher would probably opt for a matcha in lieu of coffee: “It might stunt my growth, and I wanna be 5’10 like Cindy Crawford!”
Then: After an argument with Tai, Cher heads to world-renown Rodeo Drive to clear her head. During her shopping trip, she first walks by the fountain at Two Rodeo and then Tiffany & Co. at 210 North Rodeo Drive.
- Now: Today, Cher would find shopping solace just below Wilshire Boulevard and a few blocks east of Rodeo Drive on vibrant South Beverly Drive. With an almost small-town feel, this eclectic street has a charming collection of bespoke boutiques and unique luxury shops. Alternatively, Beverly Hills offers a host of wellness and relaxation options that could help Cher calm her mind, from a stroll through tranquil green spaces, like Beverly Canon Gardens, to a healing spa visit at The Beverly Hills Hotel, which is slated to complete a bliss-worthy makeover in 2020.
Then: During an introspective walk, Cher wanders by Spadena House, more commonly known as the Witch’s House. The storybook-style home was originally built in 1920 as a silent film set. Its current owner spent years restoring it to its original fairy tale-like grandeur.
- Now: While Spadena House still offers passersby awe and wonder, another approach to appreciate the historic residences of Beverly Hills could be a visit to the historic Greystone Mansion, one of the City’s most prized hidden gems. The mansion’s grounds are open daily to the public, and the home is considered to be among California’s most luxurious residences south of Hearst Castle. Alternatively, Virginia Robinson Gardens is a unique historic estate and cultural jewel that transports the visitor back to the birthplace of Beverly Hills. Today it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is open to the public by appointment.
Then: Cher has a major epiphany while standing in front of the Wilshire Electric Fountain, designed in 1931 by architect Ralph Carlin Flewelling. The fountain is located at the intersection of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards, on the western end of Beverly Gardens Park. After nightfall, the fountain lights up with color features that change every eight minutes.
- Now: Today Cher would enjoy a vibrant new experience at Beverly Gardens Park, which was renovated in 2019. The magnificent fountains scattered among the almost 2-mile expanse have been restored, and the park’s beautiful Lily Pond brought back to life. Today, the park is home to an impressive collection of public works of art. Start east of the Beverly Hills sign to view Roxy Paine’s Erratic, a texturized stainless-steel boulder that symbolizes technology’s impact on nature or Playground, the first Tony Smith piece commissioned by a city. Since 2015, over 70 pieces of art have been selected to adorn the Beverly Hills landscape.